Bangkok Street Dogs

A place to learn about the lives of street dogs in Bangkok, Thailand, with emphasis on the individual characters of the Bangkok street dog community and their stories of hardship and humor.

View Casanova's Welcome Message

Monday, August 22, 2005

Introducing Gentle Joe



This is Gentle Joe, a 4 year old scraggly sheepdog-type of dog who hangs out mostly near Siam Square. He is normally found lounging on the cool stone walkways outside the area's many shopping malls, where the occasional breeze from within the shopping emporiums will blow out some welcome frosty air.

As a matter of fact, this may be why Gentle Joe is such a calm, cool character. Unlike other Bangkok street dogs, who will fight over the slightest trangression (perceived or real), Joe doesn't get involved in the snarling sidewalk brawls that greatly tarnish the reputation of street dogs due to their noise and general viciousness. Instead, Joe takes in the world at a very leisurely pace, and is usually content to sit gaze as the world passes by.

"My view is, why should I get involved in these silly dog street fights?" Joe once told me. "It's already way too hot out here during the day and also at night. Energy is in limited supply, and I prefer to use mine in more, shall we say, productive ways."

14 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

Oh - Gentle Joe is so cute! I wish he had a nice home! Does he want to come to NYC?!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Brownie Roo the Brown Monster said...

Love your blog!!! I can see all my doggie buddies from all over the world!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Anika From Darwin said...

Go Joe, you good thing!!!!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Ms.B said...

What are you looking at, Joe?

7:26 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

gentle joe is my kind of dog! finally a new post in this blog... i love your posts. i love your dogs. and i love cats too. wish you can do the same for cats although i would understand if you're more averse to them. cats do tend to be bad. i've been waiting for ages for my own cat to return my unrequited love for him. :D

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would give that guy a home in a second! *sigh* but I'm in NY too. I bet joe likes his freedom though too.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Look at those eyes! He's precious.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Akilez said...

I always wondered about Asian dogs, they are so unique in many ways.

I miss my dog "Jagger" he died in the Philippines in 1986

10:46 PM  
Blogger Directhit said...

wow, Joe has a wonderful view and so correct he is :-)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Taz Snow said...

My kinda pooch!! Love the dogs...love your site....

But, where have you disappeared to??!

1:03 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Jane said...

What a sweetie! Good that he manages to stay so cool and collected!

12:55 PM  
Blogger gnarlykitty said...

ur blog is really nice. waiting for new updates :)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Joviel said...

new posts plz ........

3:43 AM  
Blogger Suki & Joey said...

I love Joe. He's my favorite. I hope he's still ok, poor baby :( If I could pick any dog in the world to recue, he's the kind I would pick.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home